Why you should include long form content on your site
Everybody knows that long form content doesn’t get read and it doesn’t get shared. The majority of blog posts come in at 500 words or less. It turns out everybody was wrong. Posts that are 2000 words or longer are outperforming shorter posts in just about every area that counts:
- Posts over 2000 words get more backlinks
- Posts over 2000 words get more social shares
- Posts between 2250 and 2500 words got the most organic traffic
- Longer post translate to longer on-page time
It isn’t just written long form content that is performing well. According to a report on video monetization earlier this year, long-form content was responsible for 52 percent of video ad views the last quarter of 2014. This doesn’t mean everybody can start cranking out 2000 word posts and get the same benefits. The posts that are responsible for the good numbers are well researched and well written. They aren’t 500 word posts fluffed up with filler. Some serious effort went into their creation. To get the same results, you will need to put in just as much if not more effort.
How to write long form content
So you have decided you are willing to do what it takes to start posting longer, more in-depth articles for your online copywriting strategy. With that being the case, here are the 7 (not so easy, but well worth the trouble) steps to creating good long form content:
- Come up with some good content ideas: You need evergreen ideas content ideas. With the effort you will be putting in, you don’t want to choose a topic that nobody will care about in a month or two. Evergreen long form content that will be relevant next year or five years from now.
- In-depth research: There is a good chance that somebody reading your post will be an expert in the field. You don’t have to be smarter than the experts and you don’t need to know more than they do. But your post should reflect the fact you made an effort and did the research to write a credible article. Chances are you aren’t aiming your post at experts, but you will lose credibility fast if you skip the necessary research and try and fake it.
- Outline your post/article: It’s important to have a well-structured post that progresses smoothly from idea to idea in way that makes sense. There will be people who skim your post first to determine whether or not to read it more thoroughly. Consider using subheadings that tell the reader something about each section. The main thing is to know where you are going with it. All too often writing without an outline leads to skipping all over the place, you may miss important details and your content won’t flow like you want it to.
- Write your rough draft: Sit down and write. Don’t edit as you go or you may find yourself going nowhere. Editing as you go disrupts the flow of ideas. At this stage you are just getting down everything you want to say. You will polish it up later.
- Editing and SEO: In the rough draft you put down everything you wanted to say. Now you will go back and make sure you are saying it in the best way possible. Use a clear concise style of writing. Keep your sentences short and keep paragraphs short. Optimize for SEO. Integrate your keywords but don’t overuse them.
- Add pictures, graphic and video you have selected: They should be appropriate and chosen to fit the text content, not the other way around.
- Final proofreading: Correct your spelling mistakes and grammatical errors. Don’t worry about starting a sentence with “because” or if you used “couldn’t” instead of “could not.” Write like you speak. No need to be too formal
There is no right or wrong way to approach writing your long form content. If you’re a good writer and have experience, then may have already developed a process that works well for you. If you don’t have the time to do it right, consider using a professional content writing service like the one we provide.
We offer high quality original copywriting
Every our copywriter online is some of the best in the business. They are all degreed professionals, but most importantly they know how to write content that gets results. Additional benefits of our service include:
- Guarantee of complete satisfaction on all work we provide
- Reasonable rates that are suitable for most budgets
- Guarantee of on time delivery
- Live customer support 24/7